From the this-is-cool-or-at-least-interesting dept.:
Recently I’ve had occasion to learn a bit about the bid process for Knox County Schools. So, seeing the food vendor bids in a recent Knox County Commission agenda caught my eye. Some notes:
- Lots of food per school per day in Knox County. “Approximate usage will be for 36,000 reimbursable lunches and 12,500 reimbursable breakfasts per day. Usage will be for 86 schools in the Knox County Schools Food and Nutrition Department.”
- Most of the cheese (see barrel cheese) in schools is reduced fat.
- Plum is included in some burgers in schools.
- I didn’t see any RFP on square pizza.
- There’s a thing called “Cook-in- Bag Scramble Mix,” which, I guess, are eggs.
- Some of the winning vendors include: ConAgra Foods, Cargill Meat and Schwan’s
- The county, apparently, is still looking for a vendor for tomato paste. I heard of a place nearby that has pretty good ‘maters.